Thursday, July 4, 2013

Summer of Sizzle


The Priority of Needs
By Carri Pratt

All people have basic needs.  As we read last week, men have needs which God revealed to us in Song of Solomon chapter 5.

So how about our needs?  The needs of women?  God created man and he was satisfied with food, sex, and sports.  In Genesis 2:18 it states, “Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a help meet for him.”KJV   So women entered onto the scene carrying a huge shopping list of things we think we need to make us happy.

Now, I totally understand and subscribe to the notion, that if you are a “girlie girl” like many of us females, you have lots of needs including a need to feel attractive for your husband.  That means I think I need to get my nails and hair done, wear cute shoes and jewelry, shop for cute clothes and accessories, eat basically nothing and do my P90X workout routine. 

Exercise and dieting are good things right?  However, if these become excessive and I am forcing my husband to go carb free or I am dropping the kids on him as soon as he gets home from work do they then become self-seeking? 

I have to stop and ask myself, “Am I putting my needs above my husband’s needs?”  I then remember that Jesus had needs. However, He put our needs above His own.  For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9

It seems to me that He was modeling the behavior He wanted us to exhibit.  That probably means that it would be a good idea to put our husband’s needs equal to or above our own.  I believe there is great reward in sacrifice but we won’t realize that reward if our needs are always number one.

Challenge: This week make an effort to put one of your husband’s needs above your own and meditate on how that makes you feel.

No comments: