Monday, July 8, 2013

Song of Solomon - Summer of Sizzle Wk 6



Bible Study Week 6
Trust and Fear
By Carri Pratt
“All night long on my bed
    I looked for the one my heart loves;
    I looked for him but did not find him.”
Song of Solomon 3:3

There are scholars who believe that this passage refers to a dream the Shulammite woman had about King Solomon.  However, let us take a look at this in a modern light.   

It would be oh so easy to search for our beloved right from the comfort of our own bed.  I have had the desire to “look for the one my heart loves.”  As I wait for my husband to return from a sporting event or hunting trip it is quite easy to grab my phone and begin calling him.

The feeling that begins to creep over me is both good and not so good.  It is good in a sense that it reveals how deeply I love my husband and want to be close to him at all times.  It is not so good that his absence occasionally will lead me in the very wrong direction of mistrust and jealousy.

So the question is, “Is jealousy ok?”

“For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.” Deuteronomy 4:24.  In this passage we read that our God, who is Holy and Perfect, has jealousy for those who are His.  Therefore, we can be certain this emotion is acceptable under the proper circumstances.

In the above verse God is stating that He has exclusive rights to those who love Him and call upon His name.  No idol should take away our dedication from Him. 

In the same manner husbands and wives have exclusive rights to one another’s devotion.  No other man or woman should be allowed to interfere with the marriage partner’s affections.  You are within your rights as a wife to be protective and jealous for your husband.

If you feel threatened, then talk to your spouse, in a non-threatening way.

When we feel good about ourselves, eating right, exercising, using good personal hygiene, dressing cute and most importantly taking care of the needs of our spouse; we feel more attractive, safe and secure.
 
My husband and I recommitted ourselves on our last vacation at the beach and exchanged rings with a Hebrew inscription of Song of Solomon’s “My Beloved Is Mine and I Am His/Hers.”  It was delightful and felt like a new beginning.

The most important thing is not to let fear win out.  The Bible warns us that, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” 1 John 4:18.

Let Love Win.

Weekly Challenge:
Journal your fears then take some time to meditate on 1 John 4:18.  Allow the Holy Spirit within you to calm you and take these fears from you.  If you decide it is appropriate, speak with your spouse in a non-threatening way about the way you feel.  Choose to trust your spouse and allow "perfect love to drive out fear."  

No comments: