Saturday, December 8, 2012

Scattering Seeds... The Weary Travelers


  
Scattering Seeds… The Weary Travelers

By Carri Pratt
 
“Then she gave birth to her firstborn Son, and she wrapped Him snugly in cloth and laid Him in a feeding trough – because there was no room for them at the Inn.”     Luke 2:7 

As we read these words we see Joseph and Mary as weary travelers looking for someone to provide for them.  If the Inn Keeper had not allowed them into his stable, where would Jesus have been born?  One small act of kindness made a huge impact on the history of humanity.

Recently my children and I were on our way to a local store when we saw a young woman and a young man holding a sign that read, “Broke, Moving, Hungry.  We were caught up or stuck in traffic so we had to pass them by, however, I pointed out the couple to my children and we knew we had to find a way to get back to them.

We made our way back and signaled for the girl to come over to our vehicle.  I looked into her young face and told her we didn’t have much but I did have some money for her and first I wanted to hear her story.  She informed me that she and her boyfriend were moving to California and needed some money. 

The Holy Spirit took over at that point and I asked if she believed Jesus was the son of God and did she have Him as Lord of her life?  She looked at me and quite honestly admitted she knew about Jesus but was not sure if she believed.

I assured her that God loved her very much, as did Jesus. I asked if my children and I could pray over her – she agreed and we all bowed our heads and asked God’s blessing and protection on this wandering child.  I then asked her to please read her Bible and gave her a small amount of money.

One small act of kindness, witnessed by my children, will hopefully make an impact on her personal history.

Challenge:  Reach out into this hurt and lost world and perform one small act of kindness in Jesus’ name this Holy Christmas Holiday.

No comments: