Saturday, December 22, 2012

God Knows My Name

God Knows My Name
By Amy Gentry
 
“And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it.” (Rev. 2:17) 

 
A couple of years ago, a friend and I were discussing this passage which had just appeared in our daily bible reading that day.  Revelations was hard for us to wade through, so we were taking the journey together.  A word phrase hit us both upside the head; we got all excited as we pondered, “a new name.”  What did God mean that He would one day give each of us a new name? One that no one else would understand except for Him?  What would it be?  A fruit of the Spirit?  Perhaps a character trait?  Maybe a Greek or Hebrew name or a name with Latin roots?  Will I even be able to pronounce it?
 
Even Isaiah 65:15 says the LORD, “…will call his true servants by another name.”

I believe His Word and know that one day He will give me another name that will only be known or understood by me just like He said in Revelations, but for today – for now- Lord- give me a new name.  I prayed and asked the Lord to tell me what my new name would be. 

Overtime God revealed to me my new name.  And just like the verse in Revelations, I wrote it on a white rock and that rock sits on the headboard of my bed.  Every night I go to sleep with that name over my head. 

This new name means so much to me, more than I ever thought possible.  I’ve heard the word in song lyrics, in sermons, in bible readings… and my ears always perk up.  But this name is special to me because it is a term of closeness, a name of intimacy.   The Lord knew that this name would be a comfort to me because He knew that I had a love tank that was depleting that only He could fill.  God is the source of my comfort and by just saying the new name to myself – He speaks to me.

                                    “Not Forgotten” Video by Israel and New Breed
 
             CHALLENGE:  Pray and ask the Lord to reveal to you your new name.

No comments: