Monday, February 9, 2015

Love Yourself First



Love Yourself First

By Kim Hawkins
With much thanks to Liz Mitchell

My favorite holiday is approaching, Valentines Day!
This year can we consider looking inward at our ability to give love and receive love?

Is there a pattern of negative thoughts about yourself that keep repeating like a broken record in your mind? Does comparison of yourself to others keep you darn near paralyzed from your goals and dreams?

“For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets its self up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ.”  2 Corinthians 10:3-6

Believe me, I’ve been there. I did this to such an extent that I was sabotaging my own future. I was my own worst enemy. What I believed in my heart came true! Your main focus is basically your compass. For example: “I can’t,” ” I wish I were like her,” “Our marriage is bad,” “We can’t afford,” “I can’t keep up,” "I'm not enough."

“Be Careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.” Proverbs 4:23



Start today by not allowing those destructive thoughts to enter your mind. When they do come, do not dwell there instead throw them out. My journey out of this pit has taken some time, but reading the following scripture right when I needed it really changed my thoughts toward myself.


“Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many…..If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were and ear, where would the sense of smell be? …..As it is, there are many parts, but one body.” 1 Corinthians 12:14-20

This scripture is saying that we all have gifts and a great purpose that are much needed.

Once you stop (for good) the constant running tapes going through your mind about how worthless you are, then you can begin to believe the truth. The truth will set you free! It’s simply that you are so very wonderful, gifted, and loved. Here’s where the self-hatred and self-preserving stops. Walls can now come down that have only isolated you and the only thing the wall protected you from is intimate friendships and love.

I discovered certain things about me that I once believed were a weakness that is actually my strength. Example: Communication is one of mine, my thoughts of myself (that were not from God), was that I talk too much.

I was told about a certain life-changing book from a friend, Liz. I highly recommend reading this book and take the test that goes with it. 

To combat debilitating lies, gain confidence, and to start walking in your strengths read: 

STRENGTHS FINDERS 2.0 by Tom Rath

Discover your top 5 strengths and gain the confidence to walk in them and which career best suits you. 

Challenge: Accept the BEST, game-changing gift ever and start believing the truth of who God created you to be this February 14Th.  Then, get ready to see huge results in all areas of your life as you walk in truth and peace. 

Equipped: "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus., brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippines 4:7-8   



To learn more please read, Search For Significance by Robert McGee

No comments: