Thursday, January 15, 2015


Family Matters

From The Ends of the Earth
By Amy Gentry

My first experience with adoption, or so I thought, took place in 2007.  A cousin, that I was particularly close to, found herself in a pregnancy situation that she was able to provide for financially or emotionally.  During her pregnancy, I was talking to a friend of mine who lived out of state.  Knowing that I was close to this cousin she asked how this cousin was doing.  I mentioned the pregnancy and her consideration of adoption.  My friend beamed.  Already a mother of 4, she lit up at the idea of adopting and said, “Do you think she would let us adopt her baby?”
Ya, right.  What are the odds, that my cousin in one state would allow my friend in another state to adopt her baby?  Really, what are the odds?  Apparently the odds are very great, because this baby girl is thriving in this family 7 years later. 
This is the quick version of this story.  There were many hours of prayer and seeking direction and confirmation from the Lord by the entire adoptive family.  Selflessly, my mom stepped in to be the middle man between the birth mom and adoptive family.   This was perfect for me because I didn’t want to be pushy or a barrier for either side.  I wanted to be Switzerland.  There were many hours spent between my mom and my cousin discussing every aspect of this choice and encouraging my cousin that this family was beyond amazing.  (I want to be adopted by their family!!!)
Fast forward to August 2014.  Remember my earlier statement, “My first experience with adoption, or so I thought, took place in 2007.” For 2 years, I had been praying for God to go beyond anything I could ask or imagine.  I know what you are thinking.  No, my husband and I did not find ourselves adopting a child or even on through Compassion International (great organization by the way).  However, I did receive a phone call from a family friend who told me ….. Wait for it….   Wait for it…..  My mother had a baby boy who was born 15 months before me and placed for adoption.  WHAT?!?!?! 
I was unable to ask my mom about this because my mom passed away in 2008, but it was confirmed by all of my family members.  “Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think…” Ephesians 3:20  I spoke to my mom’s cousin who was like the gate keeper of information.  She knew every detail.  Equipped with this information, I was able to put all of the pieces together and see the whole picture.  This is the verse that I have clung to, that I have leaned on, and that I have trusted in:



“Do not be afraid, for I am with you;
I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west…
 
Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth.”
– Isaiah 43:5-6

 

There is a whole God story about how I was able to use Google, Facebook, texts, and Adoption.com to track down my half-brother, but it looks like I have found him.   Same birthplace, birth time period, birthmother description, and he is a dead ringer for my great-grand father.  We have spoken to each other a couple of times, text often, and have plans to meet in the spring.    More to come…….

 

No comments: