Monday, November 3, 2014

Time Is Precious


Time is Precious
By Carri Pratt

There is a time for everything, and a season for 
every activity under the heavens
Ecclesiastes 3:1

The name of Brittany Maynard is being spoken and written about on hundreds of newscasts and blogs. You have probably heard about the tragically, terminally ill cancer patient who made the decision to take her own life. However, this article is not about her choice, it is about the amount of time she had left. It is about the amount of time we all have left on this earth, and what we choose to do with it.

Brittany chose to rejoice in her last days spending time with those who are most important. Am I doing that? Am I spending quality time with loved ones or offering them leftovers? Am I offering leftover time to God? Do I have my priorities straight? After all, eternity is forever. As a believer in King Jesus, and the Kingdom of God, what am I doing to prepare my soul for its next home?

In the book, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney, he writes on the importance of taking inventory of our time and how much time we give to God. He states, “At the heart of a disciplined spiritual life is the disciplined use of time.” (159)

Top Ten Biblically Wise Uses of Time:

Use time wisely “Because the Days are Evil” – the world we live in makes it easy to move in the direction of evil rather than Christ likeness.

Wise Use of Time Is the Preparation for Eternity – there will be no more time to prepare once you cross over into eternity.

Time is Short – Make the most of every single day.

Time is Passing – how often do I hear, “I can’t believe another year is over!” How am I spending my time?

The Remaining Time is Uncertain – If I truly knew my last day, time would become far more important.

Time Lost Cannot be Regained – God offers me 365 days every year to discipline myself for the purpose of godliness.

You Are Accountable to God for Your Time – “So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12

Time is So Easily Lost – It slips right by without hardly noticing, and then it is gone forever.

We value time at Death – I can only imagine what I will be thinking when I am on my deathbed, if I indeed go that way. I truly hope I have no regrets regarding how I spent my time on earth.

Time’s Value in Eternity – This life is not the end! This is a great reminder that I should use my earthly life to focus on eternity and to sow “fruit” which will be the only thing that follows me to heaven.

Challenge: Take some time to do a time inventory. Are your priorities in the right order? God, Husband, Children, Home, Service, Others. Do the most important people in your life receive quality time from you? Life is short, make the most of your time here so that you may take your “fruit” with you into eternity.

Our prayers are with the family and friends of Brittany.




No comments: