Thursday, February 7, 2013

Budget Unconscious


Budget Unconscious
by Jenn Vaught


Philippians 4:19 (NIV) And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

I am the worst at budgeting.  Half the time I don’t even keep up with our checkbook.  I know it irritates my wonderful hubs (who happens to work in the financial district!) when at times, I’m being budget unconscious.  He’s very patient with me about it he knows I have good intentions, but I’m the spender and he’s the saver.  A few years ago I saw that our church was giving a
Crown Financial Class and I jumped at the opportunity to work on this (much lacking) part of myself.  It was great!  It really brought to light the reasons why I need to pay more attention to our finances and how I spend our money. 

I am much better today than I was before that class, believe it or not!!  Let’s face it, spending $ is F. U. N. and unfortunately our society and even our government promotes it and is a horrible example!  America is 16 Trillion (yes, that’s with a CAPITAL T) dollars in debt and that number is rising every single day.

Our God will truly meet all of our needs, maybe not all of our wants, but definitely our NEEDS!  When you are out shopping, wake yourself up and ask yourself, “Do I really NEED this?” or “Is this necessary in my life?”  Start keeping up with your checkbook and know how much you have before you go out of the house or only carry a budgeted amount of cash with you!  Don’t get into debt over something that only leads to temporary happiness. 

Finances are a huge problem in so many marriages today.  Don’t let it be a problem in yours.  There is a picture in my bathroom to remind me of this that says, “Thank God for what you have, trust God for what you need.”  Proverbs 22:7 (NIV) The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

CHALLENGE:  Make a point this month to keep better track of what you are spending….keep track in your checkbook of every penny.  If you need further help, think about taking a Dave Ramsey class online or at a local church. 

No comments: