Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Resurrected with Christ

Resurrected with Christ
by Kim H
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
   neither are your ways my ways,”
            declares the LORD
. 
Isaiah 55:8
The more I look at Peter, the more I see myself. Full of passion and full steam ahead… But! Not always asking God before I act or react.
As Jesus is walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. And He said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."
Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
1) Easy!! I’m so there, follower of Christ, DONE!
Simon was called Peter by Jesus meaning “Petra” that means “rock”. Jesus knew something about Peter, what his exact purpose was. He names him “Rock”. Peter had witnessed many miracles by Jesus. He was taught and mentored by THE Son of God. And yet he goes from telling Jesus he “is The Christ, the son of the living God” to saying to Jesus after he predicts his own death, “Lord, Lord! “This shall never happen to you!” To which Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.”
2) I tell God what his plan should be and getting rebuked
 Peter, Christ’s own disciple, denies Jesus three times in fear. In complete fear for his life, he tries to flee the scene of the cross.  After Jesus is arrested, twice he is asked, “You are not one of his disciples, are you?” Peter replies, “I am not.” Another asked him, “Didn’t I see you with him in the Olive grove?” Again Peter denies it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow just as Jesus said would happen in Matthew 26:34.
                          3) I totally relate to failing by trying to follow Christ in my own strength.
The Good News!!
Having an encounter with the resurrected Christ changes you. It changed Peter from a coward into the “Rock” Jesus knew he could be. Then, Peter went out boldly preaching the gospel to the masses where he told them, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name by which we must be saved.” Acts 4:12
Ten out of the twelve original apostles, as well as Apostle Paul, died as martyrs (refusing to deny Christ) for their faith. The disciples died absolutely certain for the cause of the resurrected Christ they witnessed. It was Peter who was said to be crucified upside down at his own request seeing himself unworthy to be crucified the same way as Jesus Christ.
Challenge: Let us pray. Lord, may we seek and find the full power and knowledge of the Holy One and find our true identity in Him.  In Jesus name, Amen

No comments: