Saturday, February 18, 2012

Q & A

Q:  What is so significant about the names of God?

A: Just like when you speak to me and call me by my name my ears perk up.  I think names are important to God.  How many names did he change in the scriptures?  Jacob became Israel, which means, ‘God contended;’ Abram and Sarai became Abraham, which means, ‘father of a great multitudes’ and Sarah which means, ‘princess;’ Simon became Peter-Petros, which means, ‘the rock;’ Saul became Paul, which means, ‘humble;’  These names were not chosen without thought, they meant something to Him. 

   Even in Revelation 2:17, we are told that you and I will be given a new name. “To everyone who is victorious I will give some of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven. And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one understands except the one who receives it.” 

   When Moses asked Him who he should say sent him in Exodus 3:13-15, God replied, “I AM WHO I AM.”  Jehovah/Yahweh means I am who I am - a covenant name.  But who is He really, this Jehovah/Yahweh, this I am who I am?

Jehovah-M’Kaddesh (Ex. 31:13) - the God who sanctifies,

Jehovah-jirah (Gen. 22:14) - the God who provides,

Jehovah-shalom (Jud. 6:24) - the God of peace,

Jehovah-rophe (Ex. 15:26) - the God who heals,

Jehovah-nissi (Ex.17:15) - the God who is our banner,

Jehovah-rohi (Ps. 23:1) - the Lord is my shepherd, and

Jehovah-shammah (Ezek. 48:35) - the Lord who is present.

That is who He is.




No comments: