Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Can an altar be a Good Comfy Couch

Can an altar be a Good Comfy Couch

By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.” Hebrews 11:7


Noah saved his family from destruction by listening to God.  The first thing he did when he emerged from the ark was to build an altar.  Think about that!  Noah had an altar before he had a home.  Most of us have homes, but no prayer altar.  And it shows!

Do I have a prayer altar?

What does that look like?

Do we pray as a family in our homes enough?

As I thought about the question do I have a prayer altar, I thought about my quiet times and the couches in our “formal living” room.  This room does not have a TV, so it is not used much by my family.  This is where I have my quiet times.  If I am stressed about something I tend to go to my spot on the corner of the couch and just sink in and start praying.  If I am on the phone with someone that has hard news or conflict I go to that room and get cozy in the couch so that I can listen.  I feel very close to God when I am in “position” on my couch.  I have brought several things to God sitting in that spot.  Can an altar be a couch?  I think so…  I hope you have a spot that you feel comfortable taking everything to God, a place that you can feel as if you are sitting in His lap bringing Him everything!
 
Challenge:  Do you have a prayer altar?  What does that look like to you?

No comments: