Sunday, December 18, 2011

Q & A

Q: If I was christened as a baby, why should I be baptized?

A: All of the baptisms in the New Testament are similar in one regard: all believed first and then immediately followed Christ’s example of baptism by immersion in water. Baptism is announcing that one has chosen for himself to put his faith in Jesus Christ as his Lord, as well as for his salvation.  Immersion is the act of being totally submerged in liquid.  Baptism by total immersion symbolizes, through a living picture, our death to sin, the burial of our old life, and the resurrection to walk in a new life with Jesus Christ as your Lord.

I was christened as a baby, but I did not get BAPTIZED until I has heard about the sacrifice that Christ has made for my sins.  I admitted that I could not get to Heaven by my own good deeds and that I had sin in my life. Romans 3:23 NTL “For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.”  I believed that if I asked Christ to save me that He would faithfully do that.  Romans 10:13 NLT "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."  I confessed my sins to the Lord and repented (which means to go the other direction).   Romans 10:9-10  NLT “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.” 

Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change; therefore after I admitted, believed, and confessed, then I was baptized. 

Acts 16:29-34 MSG  “Sirs, what do I have to do to be saved, to really live?" They said, "Put your entire trust in the Master Jesus. Then you'll live as you were meant to live… They went on to spell out in detail the story of the Master… he couldn't wait till morning!—was baptized, he and everyone in his family. There in his home, he had food set out for a festive meal. It was a night to remember: He and his entire family had put their trust in God; everyone in the house was in on the celebration.”

No comments: