Wednesday, November 15, 2017

What I Want My Children to Know Before They Leave Home

You Are Loved

The number one thing I want my children to know and to carry with them through this life is that they are loved. They are loved unconditionally by their father, by me and by their Creator, their Heavenly Father God.  My hope is that they will not only know they are loved but have the ability to love others and to love God.

God gives us this command when He states, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:4-and in addition, "Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31.

How do I show love in an appropriate manner?

   * Say "I love you" everyday!
   * Spend time with your children
   * Do things they like to do
   * Understand their love language
   * Discuss God's love for them
   * Discuss Jesus' sacrifice for them 

Say "I love you" everyday
This is not something I used to do. I noticed a mom saying it over and over to her child and it finally came to me that yes, my children needed to hear this too! I made an intentional decision to tell them I love them as often as naturally possible. It actually felt uncomfortable to say it so often, but it became a habit that my children love. 

Spend Time With Them
Time is fleeting and precious. It is one of the only things we can't buy and would love more of. It is also the number one gift our children long to receive.  Sit with them, listen to what they want to share, watch a show and have popcorn. Our children are only with us for a very brief time. Spend it wisely.

Do Things They Like to Do
We have started a couple of new traditions in our family. The first being date night with the children. I make a date with each of my children individually and allow them to choose where they want to go and what they want to do. (My oldest son is the most recent to plan his date for the opening weekend of the remake of Jumanji!) They love this special time alone with mom or dad.

The second tradition we have started is the Summer Fun List. Around April or May we sit down after dinner and discuss the things the children want to do over summer vacation and make our list. We then choose the things that are within our budget and plan our schedule accordingly. We then post a calendar on the fridge and put it in our phones so everyone knows when and where. This has helped us enjoy summer together before it flies by. 

Understand their Love Language
You have to read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. He has even come out with a new book geared specifically towards teens. (which I am ordering asap! Will keep you posted)  Look on our printables for a Love Language quiz.

Discuss God's Love for Them / Jesus' Sacrifice
It is so important for our children to understand how much God loves them (and us). Help them to memorize John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16



No comments: