Monday, April 29, 2013

Seeds of Discontent: Part 1 - Anxiety

CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO SEE THE VIDEO!
Seeds of Discontent:  Part 1 – Anxiety
By Jenn Vaught
Matthew 13:18-23 (NIV)Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.  But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.  But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”(Emphasis mine)
Ruth Bell Graham is one of the most amazing Christian women of our time.  One of my favorite quotes from her is this, “One event at a time, one hour at a time, one step at a time.”  I have no doubt that she was and still is a busy woman.   
I struggled with anxiety for years after I got married.  I worried about the boys, about my husband, my parents, about the future, especially when things weren’t going exactly as planned.  I am a planner.  I stick to the plan!  My first plan was that I wanted to be only a homemaker, but then my parents “brainwashed” me and said I’m going to finish college first.  I’m so glad they did that.  So, I started planning some more.  I knew where I was going to college by 6th grade.  I knew I was going to major in Psychology by 10th grade.  I knew I was going to get married and have 3 boys.  (I was a tom-boy growing up and always had guyfriends, along with my girlfriends.  This made sense to me and for the most part God gave me exactly what I wanted, but the path was very different than what I expected!  I’ll save that story for another article.)     
Fast forward to my anxiety surfacing in migraines, anxiety attacks and feelings of impending doom and fatigue.  It takes a lot of energy to be anxious!    So why did I let it run my life?  Why did I worry so much about what other people thought of me or my family?  I never understood this until I realized that I was being a control-freak.  I was the problem.  I realized I wasn’t putting my trust in the Almighty, the One who Was, and Is and Is to come!  The great I AM.  (BTW, I love that song by Phillips Craig and Dean!)  It totally speaks to me!  Need a pick me up?  Click on the above video for a prescription to peace from the Great I AM!  Listen twice a day, and call Him in the morning…………  J             
CHALLENGE:  Are you fighting God for control or taking back what you’ve already given Him to take care of?  Let Him be the Great, I AM in your life today!  Don’t let the thorns of this life make you anxious and unfruitful.

No comments: