Thursday, March 28, 2013

Scattering Seeds… The Dental Chair




Scattering Seeds… The Dental Chair
By Carri Pratt

Does anybody have any idea how difficult it is to share Jesus when you have a bite block, water hose, drill, and fingers in your mouth while your tongue feels like it is 4 inches thick?

This was my latest challenge.  I had a root canal part one on Monday and was going back on Tuesday to finish up.  A friend of mine asked if I had witnessed to my dentist and I had to say no!  I put my knees to the floor and had a little conversation with God that went something like this, “Heavenly Father, I have a situation that I need some help with.  How can I follow your command to share the good news of Your Son while getting a root canal?”

His answer?  “Be quick” and “Go to Mardels.”  Well, that seemed pretty easy.  God knows all and in this case He knew Mardels would have a clearance rack with “The Case for Easter” blocking my path into the store.

As I sat down in the dental chair I immediately felt that nervous feeling that comes over you, much like right before a speaker goes onto the stage.  Perhaps it is stage fright.  A quick prayer to God and the Holy Spirit to take over and the dentist walks in.  God said to act quickly so I did, “Dr.” I said, “Are you a Christian?”  He looked at me a little surprised and then smiled. “Yes.  I am.  I’m Catholic.”  I smiled back and we shared that brief glance of sisterhood/brotherhood appreciation for The King.  Later I also spoke with his assistant, who was getting married and looking for a church.  I gave them both a copy of the book I had purchased.

The lesson learned for me is to make sure I take a chance in all situations to encourage other believers and share Jesus with unbelievers.  We never know who we are talking to unless we ask.

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying: Who should I send? Who will go for Us?   I said: Here I am. Send me.” Isaiah 6:8 HCSB

Challenge:  Take a chance in an uncomfortable situation to share the Good News of Christ Jesus our King.

No comments: