Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Haunting of Our Pasts


The Haunting of Our Pasts
By Carri Pratt


I believe that every person has a time in their life they would like to re-live.  For some of us it is simply a misspoken word or maybe it is a case of buyer’s remorse.  However, some of us have very painful memories from our past that is haunting us on a daily basis.  It hurts to remember our poor choices and to look around and see how our current lives are affected by those choices.  

“For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.”  Psalm 51:3 NLT  How do I deal with the repercussions of those memories?  Sometimes I feel as though I am drowning in a sea of self pity and remorse; I literally cannot breathe and tears stream down my face from the agony.  At those times life seems hopeless.  I ask, ‘can God ever forgive me for what I have done?’  That is the voice of Satan in my head prompting me to question God’s goodness.  The Bible always has the answer to my questions, and John comforts me with his reassuring words, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 (HCSB)

Reading further we see in 2 Corinthians 5:17 that Paul throws us a life-line, “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person.  The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
 
There came a point in my  life, after I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior that I repented and accepted His gift of grace and mercy over my past.  I can allow Jesus Christ to free me from the bondage that I have experienced.  “Therefore, no condemnation now exists for those in Christ Jesus.”  Romans 8:1 (HCSB)
 
Whatever it is that I might be holding on to is just not worth it.  God can use my past to bring Him glory and to bring me joy!  I must guard my thoughts every day.  I need to ask God to help me fight the temptation.  Philippians 4:7 tells us, “And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

God knows us.  God created us and knew in
advance every choice we would make and He still loved us!
He is waiting for us exactly as He is portrayed
in the parable of the lost son in Luke 15,
“. . .this son of mine was dead and is alive again;
 he was lost and is found!’
So they began to celebrate.”
Choose Joy!

Challenge:  The thought of giving up our past might be more than we can bear.  Take a leap of faith and allow God to take your past and use it for His glory.

No comments: