Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Unity in Your Community

Unity in Your Community
Biblical Priority #6 Love One Another
by Suzie M.

“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”  Ephesians 4:1-3, NIV

Maintaining unity in my relationships has been somewhat of a struggle for me as an adult.  In college, I was the girl who “told it like it was.”  I thought nothing of belittling, making fun, or even going off on someone.  As I entered the workforce, it didn’t get any better.  I was ruthless and I thought I was always right.  I still told people the “honest” truth, no matter how ugly it was and I did not sugar coat anything.  My marriage looked about the same.  Fortunately, God used the birth of my first child to change my ways.

Once I recommitted my life to Christ and began living out my faith, I began to produce gentleness and patience and love.  Don’t get me wrong, I still have my moments.  However, through the grace and love of God, I am becoming the woman God created me to be.

God created all of us to be relational.  We have an inner desire to have relationships with people.  Our first relationship should be God, our spouse next, then children, and finally everyone else.  Sometimes we let our sinful nature take over and we have disagreements with one another.  God does not want this for his body of believers.  We are to make every effort to live in peace in our relationships.  This is how we are “one” body of Christ.

More people leave the church over relational issues than any other.  I think this is so sad.  We are a family.  We are one body with many parts and yet sometimes we don’t think twice about cutting off an “arm” or a “leg."  People want you to listen, encourage, serve and be a friend to them.  We have to take off our selfish ambition and put others first.  We are called “with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”  Ephesians 4:1-3 NIV

If you have an issue with anyone, you need to address it today.  It doesn’t matter who is right or wrong, but it is wrong to not be unified.  It’s wrong to be creating discord.  Your family of God must be a part of your life.  They are your brothers and sisters in Christ.  I John 1:6 says, “But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.“

Challenge:  We are all sinners, no one is perfect.  Extend grace and patience and love and be united with your “family."  Resolve all conflicts today.

1 comment:

Kimmy said...

I enjoyed reading this humble post... we can all learn from this. Grace.... ~ kim