Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Breath of God

The Breath of God
Biblical Priority #5 Service
by Amy G.

Because the Holy Spirit lives within all believers, God is with us today. Speaking to us through His word.

2 Timothy3:16-17 NIV “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

All Scripture is God-breathed (which means from God’s Spirit) and is useful for:

Teaching
2 Timothy 3:14 NIV “But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you.” I have my Bible ready, my pen, my highlighter and my journal; I am ready to learn from God’s Word, but unless I take the contents of the notes that I jot down and put them into practice, by remaining faithful to do what I what taught, then did I really learn anything?

Rebuking
Psalm 94:12 NLT “Joyful are those you discipline, Lord, those you teach with your instructions.” Every time I approach the Bible to spend time in the presence of God, I should begin with a prayer and an attitude of longing for Him to rebuke me; in any area of my life, where I am not walking in His will or bringing glory to Him.

Correcting
Psalm 119:105 MSG “By your words I can see where I'm going; they throw a beam of light on my dark path.” When I cry out to Him, He shares His wisdom with me. He is a relational God! Relationships require a two way communication. In Jeremiah 33:3 NLT, I am boldly told, “Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.” He wants me to seek His guidance, He is just waiting for me to ask.

Training in righteousness
1 Timothy 4:8 NLT “Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.”  I am in training. Training in becoming like Christ. Through His word, the Holy Spirit illuminates scriptures that are specifically for me at that given moment in time, so that He can instruct me on the next exercise in my marathon to Christ likeness.

Psalm 119:1-8 MSG
“You're blessed when you stay on course,
walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You're blessed when you follow his directions,
doing your best to find him.
That's right—you don't go off on your own;
you walk straight along the road he set.
You, God, prescribed the right way to live;
now you expect us to live it.
Oh, that my steps might be steady,
keeping to the course you set;
Then I'd never have any regrets
in comparing my life with your counsel.
I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.
I'm going to do what you tell me to do;
don't ever walk off and leave me.”
Now that God has taught me, rebuked me, corrected me and trained me in righteousness, what do I do with this wisdom?

CHALLENGE: Sit alone with your Bible, a prayer request and God. Ask God to speak to you through His word. When a passage stands out to you, stop and meditate on that passage, ponder how that passage relates to your prayer request. Then pray, thanking God for what He illuminated to you. Teach this to those in your circle of influence; hold them accountable and ask them to hold you accountable too.

No comments: