Wednesday, December 20, 2017

What I Want My Children to Know: How to Keep Jesus at the Center of Christmas

The angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”  Luke 2:10-12

As the song goes, "It's the most wonderful time of the year." Yes, I love Christmas! I love the songs, the food, the happy spirits, the decorations and the Christmas cups, plates and coffee mugs that fill our cabinets. However, what I really want is my children to know the true meaning of Christmas.

How can we as moms make sure that we keep Jesus first during this time of year?  A few things my family has done this year include:

Putting our Advent wreath on our kitchen table.  We are reminded at each meal of the coming of Christ.

Setting up our Mangers first before any other decorations

Selecting Christmas cards that highlight the birth of Jesus

Attending church / Serving our church

Giving to Christian organizations like Operation Christmas Child

Watching Christ centered movies like The Star and The Nativity with your traditional selections

Reading the Bible with our children (Readings are posted under Advent)

Including a Spiritual Gift under the tree for your child

There are lots of ways we can remind our children that yes, this is the most wonderful time of the year, because Jesus was born to be our Savior. Hallelujah!!  Christ is Born!

No comments: