Friday, September 21, 2012

Be Still


Be Still…
By Amy Gentry
A few months ago I was watching a TV special on the health benefits of meditation.  According to research that I have done online; those who meditate daily could improve their health up to 30%-50%
I began thinking that I wanted to try meditation to relax and improve my overall health, but as I pondered the concept of meditation I felt conviction.  Why would I take the time to be still and meditate every day for my physical health, but I don’t sit before the Lord and just be quiet and still.  The verse, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10) smacked me upside the head.
The next day, still reeling from conviction, I came across this verse in my daily devotional, “Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am.  (John 12:26a emphasis mine)
“Okay, Jesus!!! I hear you.”  I began to sit.  I just sat.  Breathing.
Do you know what happened?  Nothing.  At first.  But then I could hear choruses from worship songs in my head and old hymns popped into my mind that I had not sung in years.  I could see images of people I had been praying for and of those I should have been praying for.  I felt emotions surrounding issues that I had not yet surrendered to the Lord.  I was reminded of excerpts from my bible reading from earlier in the day, and prayers that I had written out in my journal.  It was a precious and powerful time that brought me to tears.
I was practicing being still, I drew near to Him and He drew near to me.  I was being still, right where Jesus was.  PRICELESS.
I don’t BE STILL every day, but I want to.  I am trying to open my spirit up to hear His Spirit calling me to BE STILL with Him. 
CHALLENGE: Find a spot that is comfortable, lean back, put a pillow under your knees, close your eyes, and breathe.  Then pray.  Ask the Lord to speak to you.  Express to Him that you don’t want anything from Him but to know Him more completely and intimately.

No comments: