Monday, August 11, 2014

Genesis Bible Study




Genesis Bible Study – Chapter 31
By Carri Pratt

“So he fled with all he had, and crossing the river, 
he headed for the hill country of Gilead.” Genesis 31:21



Jacob had worked hard for his father-in-law, Laban, for twenty years. During that time God blessed Jacob many times.  When Laban would try to cheat him by proclaiming that Jacob would only receive spotted or stripped animals, God would make sure those were the types of animals that were born.  Although Laban tried to swindle Jacob, God was in control.


Year after year Jacob witnessed amazing blessing from God, however, when it came time to follow God’s command to return to his own country, Jacob became fearful and fled rather than standing up to Laban with God’s help. God even reassured him, “I will be with you.” Genesis 31:3

Fear is a powerful influence in our lives. God knows what fearful creatures we are and has told us many times not to fear “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

When we feel God leading us toward a decision or a life change, we should remember God’s advice and embrace His promises, “For the Lord loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones.” Psalm 37:28

Challenge: The next time fear begins to creep in, remember God’s promises and “Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” Ephesians 6:10

A Few Verses to battle Fear:

Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD. . .” Exodus 14:13
“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1

“I sought the LORD, and he answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.” Psalm 34:4

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34

“But overhearing what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not fear, only believe.” Mark 5:36

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Luke 12:32

No comments: