Sunday, November 27, 2011

Power of Prayer

Power of Prayer
Biblical Priority #6 - Love One Another
by Suzie M.

It’s the middle of the night. I wake up with my heart pounding so hard and fast it feels like it will come out of my chest.  I am sweating.  My chest is tight.  I feel faint and sick. What is happening?  Am I having a heart attack?  No, I am having an anxiety attack, also known as a panic attack.

I began having anxiety attacks about 13 years ago when my parents separated and filed for a divorce.  It took a couple of months, but the attacks subsided.  Then, this past spring, anxiety reared its ugly head again.  Only this time, the attacks were becoming more frequent.  One night, I went to a prayer room that a friend had recommended.  It was amazing!  The most powerful prayers I had ever heard were being prayed over me!  I slept so well that night. I thought I was finally free of the anxiety.  Not so.  A couple of months later, I experienced the worst anxiety yet.  The attacks were becoming more frequent and I was almost passing out, sometimes while driving. I had it during the night and during the day; I was constantly experiencing anxiety.  As I cried out to the Lord, trying to figure out the reason behind the attacks, He showed me several things.  At the prayer room, it became clear that my fears were controlling me. My fear was where my faith should have been.  So again, I went back to deal with my “fears”.   God showed me that I was not trusting Him in many areas of my life.  I am a control freak and trusting anyone is not my MO.  I have been hurt by so many people in my life. I had built up a wall that would require an army to bring it down.  Thank goodness our Father in Heaven is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies! This was what I needed.  You see, Satan knows exactly where my weakest points are, and he knows yours as well.  There is a major spiritual warfare going on for you and me.  We have to use the power of prayer to fight this battle.

One particular night, during an attack, I considered calling 911. Instead, my precious husband talked me out of it and prayed with me. We prayed together and the attack stopped almost instantly.  A couple of nights later, another bad attack occurred, only this time I didn’t want to wake my husband.  (I was trying to do things in my own strength again.)  However, I cried out to my Jesus in a way I had never done before.  I literally lifted my hand and asked Him to hold it and I prayed to Him in desperation.  I prayed several Psalms back to Him and instantly the attack stopped.  I could hardly believe it!  I don’t know why He amazes me so!  The next Sunday at church, our pastor invited anyone who needed prayer to come forward.  My heart was pounding.  I knew I needed to go, but I didn’t want to.  What would people think?   I talked myself out of it.  The following Sunday, our pastor said the same thing.  My heart was pounding again.  This time I went down for prayer.  It was so wonderful!  Our sweet executive pastor talked with me. I told him what had been going on, and he prayed for me.  It was a great day!  I felt God’s grace and peace over me all day and throughout the week.  I was so thankful for his prayers; I kept thanking God.

I know I am not alone. I know there are many women who deal with anxiety.  I have been in a thankful spirit for all the people who have prayed for me throughout these past months. I started thinking about how we don’t even come close to tapping into the true power of prayer.

Please allow another person the privilege to pray for you.  God wants us to pray for one another, in thanksgiving and for ALL things.  Your pastors want to be praying for you too.   Please don’t try to handle your problems by yourself.  We were created not only to worship God, but to be the body of Christ.  We are to pray for one another.  If you need prayer, you will feel better to let someone else help you carry that burden.  If you are praying for another, you are blessed!  You will truly be thankful for another person when you are praying for them or when they are praying for you.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Philippians 4:6-7 ESV

CHALLENGE:  Let someone pray for you today.  Go see your pastor, a godly woman, or email us at thetitus2women@gmail.com.  Let us know specifically how we may pray for you.

No comments: