Saturday, October 1, 2011

Wrapped In His Arms

Wrapped In His Arms
Biblical Priority #6 - Love One Another
by Suzie M.

Three years ago my best friend lost her mom to Ovarian Cancer. It was a bittersweet time. Our prayers were answered that she did not have to suffer long, but I had just given birth to our 3rd child, therefore I could not be with my friend. All I could do was pray for her, cry with her and listen on the phone to whatever she needed to get out. I had been to many funerals: grandparents, friends, friends’ parents, but when it’s your best friend you hurt when they hurt. I did not know how to comfort her, everything I did or said felt inadequate. Even months later I could not “complain” about my own mom to her, how could I when she would probably give anything to have her mom back even for one day driving her crazy. Little did we both know that two years later we would be walking through this valley together again, only this time it was my mother-in-law. She too had Ovarian Cancer. She too did not have to suffer long. And though I would have loved to have had my best friend right beside me I knew she could not endure it. But I also knew she was always a phone call away. I knew she was praying for my whole family. I knew she would have the right words to say.

God did not allow her to go through suffering for nothing, for He will be glorified. “I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.” John 14:13 Our Father in Heaven is the God of all comfort, and comforts us in our very time of need. However we too, are commanded to comfort one another. My friend was and still is a huge source of comfort that God uses to comfort me and my husband as we walk through this season, but I know He is the Author of it all.
God will use me as well to comfort another who will walk through this valley, because His Word is true. I did not know exactly how my friend was feeling at the time but I comforted her the best way I knew. Now I have the privilege of allowing God to use me to comfort another. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.” 2 Cor. 1:3-5

CHALLENGE: Your testimony of your own sufferings and God’s faithfulness may be just what someone needs to hear today. Share your God story so someone may be comforted or maybe all God wants you to do is pray with and encourage another today.

No comments: