Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ripping What You Sew

Ripping What You Sew
Biblical Priority #2 - Marriage
by Jenn V.

Reaping What You Sow on Marriage – Wow! That’s a loaded statement isn’t it? If I had a nickel for every time I nagged, whined and took my husband for granted, I could quit my job and have a sweet ride sitting pretty in my garage to boot!!! I grew up an only child and so that means I got all the attention, especially from my dad. He was and is a great dad to me. He could give lessons to other fathers on how to properly cherish a daughter and make her feel like the apple of his eye. Little girls should feel like they are princesses in real life, not just in pretend play. One thing though, I just forgot to hang up my tiara when it was time to get married. That servant heart didn’t surface right away. It took a little while for me to finally realize and tell God, “HEY! This isn’t workin’ out like it’s supposed to!”  That’s when God helped me to see what I was doing wrong. I kept comparing my husband with my father. BAD IDEA! They are two different people who have their own unique strengths and weaknesses.

Families are like a quilt. Every selfless act of servitude for my family is a new patch, sewn together with God’s grace and mercy. My self-centeredness was ripping up my quilt at the seams. Then once I learned to accept my husband the way God made him, guess what happened? I started feeling cherished by my husband! I have tried a thousand times and I still can’t make my sweet Mother-in-Law’s amazing homemade Mac and Cheese, but he loves me anyway, amongst all my many other we-won’t-discuss-here-faults!

Luke 6:37-38 of The Message Bible says, “Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, and criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don't condemn those who are down; that hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you'll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity.”

CHALLENGE: Go a whole week and say nothing but “Sweet Nothings” to your spouse and see what happens!

No comments: