Wednesday, December 13, 2017

What I Want My Children to Know: How to Handle Stress

How to Handle Stress

My daughter had a total stress breakdown the other day. I had been warned, by her principal, that this was coming (as all new middle school students would have a "freak out" moment he said).

"I can't do it!" she cried out through tears streaming down her face.  As any mother would probably do, I pulled her close and gave her a big hug.  I asked her to tell me what was going on and she opened the floodgates and poured her heart out to me. It all came down to some homework assignments and her first band concert. She was feeling overwhelmed, a feeling we can all relate to but don't always deal with properly.

Lesson Learned: Our children are under tremendous stress but do they have the tools to deal with it?  

She and I talked it out and here is what we learned together:

Step One: Admit you are stressed! Help your child to see what is stressing them.  Let them talk it out, cry and give them a listening ear first (advice comes later) and lots of hugs/attention.

Pray ... let them know that they are able to deal with this because they have Jesus Christ in their lives and the Holy Spirit living inside them. Invite God to be in this moment.  Pray Philippians 4:13 with them,  
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Make a list ... help your child to prioritize what they need to do and help in whatever way you can (try to refrain from doing the work yourself). 

Give them Grace ... let your child know that they are not expected to be perfect! Yes, we all want our children to do well at whatever they attempt but this is a huge part of the stress upon them. Allow them to do their best, accept that and celebrate their results with them.  Your opinion matters to them.

Keep God first ... remember to make all decisions based on God's love and His willingness to bare our burdens. He is amazing! Share that blessing with your child.


"Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you." 
1 Peter 5:7







 

No comments: