Monday, May 27, 2013

Family Matters


FAMILY MATTERS: Do You “Like” Me?
by Amy Gentry
Confession:
-I have Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
-I text more than I talk these days. 
-Sometimes I send texts just to see what the reply will be. 
-I did not go to my High Schools 20th reunion because I felt I knew all I needed to about the people I went to school with through social media.
Needless to say- I am a huge social media fan, but how will social media eventually affect our children?  I read the posts of my children and I see random, silly post that almost shout “look at me.”  Are they seeking self-affirmation from a list of “friends?”  They check and recheck the posts to see how many have now liked or commented on their updated status. 
Where does this all come from?  Are there moments in the day when they need a pat on the back and I am not giving them one? 
How does this need for cyber-affirmation effect my children and what will the content of their character look like in 5 years? 
Does the fragile self-worth of my children all come down to how many people “like” them in cyberspace?  What about the one who does like them in the heavenlyspace??? “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.” (Ephesians 1:3-8)  

My children have been chosen by God and adopted as His children.

Maybe we should take a lesson from Stewart Smalley 

 

No comments: