Monday, April 27, 2015

One Year Bible



The One Year Bible 
Carri Pratt

Greetings! I am always so inspired to review the blessings God’s word provides each day and each week from the One Year Bible. I am praying for you that you are being encouraged by what you are reading. (and that you are reading!)


This week I was struck by a combination of the Old Testament and New Testament passages:

Wednesday, April 22nd Old Testament reading from Joshua:
“Now fear the Lord and serve Him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, . . . But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” 
Joshua 24:14-15

May I just say, Amen! This is our true calling, to serve the Lord and serve Him only! Now let’s take a look at what Jesus is praying before His arrest, found on April 25th in the New Testament reading:

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” Luke 22:42

Jesus knew what He was about to endure, but He was prepared to fulfill the Father’s will no matter the cost.  Our lives should also focus on the will of God. It is about loving Him, believing Him, serving Him, and allowing our lives to line up under the plans He has for us.

It is interesting to note that Joshua means The Lord Is Salvation.  Salvation comes from faith in Jesus Christ. When we have faith to receive salvation the outcome should be good works in service to the Lord. It is our way of showing our gratitude to Him. James, the brother of Jesus, expresses this point when he writes:

“For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.” James 2:26 

To clarify, performing good works does not lead to salvation, faith alone leads to salvation. However, when we have salvation, it leads us to serve the Lord and to teach our families to do the same. I agree whole heartedly with Joshua, as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord!

Challenge: Choose for yourself this day who you will serve

No comments: