Monday, February 23, 2015

One Year Bible


One Year Bible
By Kim Hawkins

Last weeks reading was especially tough in the Old Testament. The descriptions of the animal sacrifices are very hard to read. This is really difficult for me to imagine because I’ve never been around hunting, not in my family growing up or with my husband, and we are all animal lovers. 

I found myself literally cringing as a read the detailed accounts of their sin offerings. I wanted to stop or speed through this part of the readings. While thinking how does this apply to me, something very important struck me....

That we are currently in the season of Lent. This is the most important season for a believer; the days leading up to the cross, and the ultimate shedding of blood-our very own sin sacrifice.

After the crucifixion of Christ there were no animal sacrifices required ever again. Christ’s death was slow, painful, bloody, awful, but necessary for our salvation. We cannot rejoice in the sheer beauty of Jesus dying for our sin without first knowing the awful, bloody truth.

All of that was for me. He took all my sin and shame shedding his blood to cover me making me white as snow. The spotless lamb was sacrificed in exchange for my life and yours.

“Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.” Hebrews 9:27

No comments: