Monday, March 5, 2012

I'm Gonna Wash that Gray Right Out of My Hair

 
♪ ♪♫  I’m Gonna Wash That Gray Right Out of My Hair  ♪ ♪♫
by Jenn V.
Proverbs 31:22b -she is clothed in fine linen and purple. (NIV)

March is the month of Spring Cleaning!  YAY!  NOT!  I have a love/hate relationship with spring cleaning!  I hate to do it, but I love and feel so much better after the end result.  There are lots of things we need to clean out and it’s not just our cabinets and drawers ladies!  One spring day, years ago after watching a home makeover show, I realized after being a stay-at-home mom for years, I needed to spring clean myself!  I had let myself look like a hag for far too long - my poor husband!  Just way too many days of changing diapers, running back and forth picking up my two older ones from school and practices, and cleaning house (all without any other adult contact) had left me looking ragged.  I got up the next day made an appointment and went out to get a new hairdo - complete with highlights.  I went through my closet and I pulled out entirely too many “What Not to Wear” clothes that were perfect for painting the house, but not for impressing my man.  I made a list of clothes I needed to upgrade myself from HAG.1.0 to HOTTIE.1.2 with hope of someday upgrading further to HOTTIE.1.3 by starting an exercise program.  I now make sure I wear at least some makeup so as not to scare people.  I’m not thinking I’ll ever look like Heidi Klum (by the way, she’s HOTTIE.10.0) and realistically, our husbands don’t expect us to look like we’re having breakfast at Tiffany’s every day either.  I’m thinking I should at least make an attempt to be mindful and healthy.  I want to have more energy, so I can stick around longer for my family.  This is how we can show them love, by taking care of ourselves.  The last reason alone was good enough for me.  For more information on this sometimes controversial subject, there is a book that further explains this phenomenon called For Women Only.  Every woman should read this book!  I even found a great organizational system called Motivated Moms that helps me spring clean a little per day, all year round and reminds me to keep my soul clean too with daily devotions and reminders that I need to exercise and take my vitamins!  Does the thought of doing all this overwhelm you?  Repeat after me…I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13 (NIV) Still don’t believe it?  Wash, rinse and repeat!
CHALLENGE:  As you think about spring cleaning your home this month, look at your daily life as well.  Make sure you pay attention to how you look and take care of your SELF and your SOUL. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25 (NIV)   

No comments: