Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Family Matters


A Lipstick Wedding
By Amy Gentry

 

Along with my family, I was recently was invited to attend the wedding of two women, one of whom was my half sister. Wow. What to do???

As I would speak to others about the upcoming day, I found out that I was not alone in this. Most of my friends had a family member that was in a similar lifestyle. By no means am I an expert on this topic, but I can pass along a few revelations I had along my journey to the wedding day.

Revelations:

How do I represent Christ and Christians?

- I am a semi-outspoken Evangelical Christian, whatever I say or however I react (negatively or positively) about this relationship will speak volumes either for Christianity or against it. Should I judge/condemn the homosexual lifestyle of my sister or love her by demonstrating Christ's love, share God's word with her, pray for her and wait, expectantly for Christ to move in her heart?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (NIV, Matthew 7:1-2) I bet I had a prayer warrior praying for me behind the scenes when I was wayward too.

Should my children attend the wedding?

- I felt that my young child did not need to attend this wedding even though it was the wedding of a close family member. As a mother, I felt it was my responsibility to protect my son's mind and his exposure to situations that could give the enemy a foothold to derail his thoughts. Proverbs 4:23 "More than anything you guard, protect your mind, for life flows from it."

Lay all your cards out in the table.

- I spoke to my sister several times over the years about her lifestyle. We discussed her salvation, what God's word said about her choice and my personal feelings on the matter. But it wasn't until I was sitting at the wedding of my sister and I heard the line, "If any of you can show just cause why these two should not be married…either speak now at this very instance or hold your words and judgment forever" that is when I finally had peace. I had already spoken up. I had done everything in my power to honor Christ and love her at the same time. It was not my responsibility to lead her to repentance, my job was to just lay the ground work for the Holy Spirit to work. And He will. I am waiting, expectantly.

2 Timothy 2:24-25 "The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged. With gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will."

No comments: