Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Intentional Decorating

Intentional Decorating
by Stephanie Heady

Deuteronomy 6:7-9 (NLT) “Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.  Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”

Deuteronomy 11:20-21 (NLT) “Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, so that as long as the sky remains above the earth, you and your children may flourish in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors.”
I don’t know about you, but memorizing scripture has never been easy for me nor does it come naturally.  I remember in the house where I grew up, my mom had a cross-stitch on the wall that said, “This House Serves the Lord” and I looked at it every day because of where it was hanging.  One day, I was thinking about that cross-stitch and how intentional we should be with what decorations we put in our homes and where we put them.  I have tried to put scripture all over our house so that I can learn it.  The more we learn God’s word, the more we can apply it to our lives and lean on His word for hope.  The best teaching moments occur as life happens as we walk around the house, as we cook dinner, as we wash dishes and as we put kids to bed.
Philippians 4:8 (NIV) “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” sits by the sink and I read it as I wash dishes.  One day I received a phone call from a good friend who was struggling with seeing the truth of a situation and I quoted that scripture and she started crying, she told me how much she had needed to hear that scripture.  I do not say this to toot my own horn.  I say it because if I would not have had this verse memorized, I probably could not have been used by God at that moment to turn her to His word.  I shared with her that I knew God had just spoken through me, because I typically am not good at remembering scripture, but since it was there, God could use it to speak through me.  We are just a vessel and I want to be a usable vessel filled with His word.
Challenge:  Print scriptures and place them around your home.  You can frame them, write them on mirrors, write them on post it notes, etc…
Here are some resources to some great scripture cards and printable scripture art.  If you do not want to use these, search online for a certain scripture reference that you want and click images.
http://spiritualinspiration.tumblr.com/

No comments: